Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mission Critical website

Inductive and deductive reasoning

I remember when we discussed this topic in one of the previous chapter and it seem vague to me. But when I read the website it gave a clear definition and comprehensible examples. According to the website, inductive reasoning are based on opinion, observation or experiences. Deductive reasoning is based on real facts or laws. For example, when I accidentally touched the pan on the stove it burned my hand and I remove my hand quickly . This is an example of inductive reasoning. When I say that the reason I removed my hand so fast, is because of nerves reactions or scientific fact.
To help me furthermore, I did the exercises below the lesson and that helped me distinguish that difference between an inductive and deductive phrase. It helped me to analyze first why one sentence is not a deductive reasoning: Could that sentence be an observation or experience instead?

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem you had when reading and thinking about inductive and deductive reasoning from the textbook. I was really confused after I read it and the examples in the textbook didn’t seem to help me that much. The Mission Critical website helped me like it did you – I was able to understand the topic more thoroughly. I feel like one of the main reasons the website helped me was because it explained both topics separately and in more detail than the Critical Thinking textbook did and the website treated inductive as a separate topic and deductive reasoning as a separate topic.

    ReplyDelete